When should I consider the egg donation program over IVF with own eggs?
You might be a candidate for donor eggs if you have any of these conditions:
- Premature ovarian failure, a condition in which menopause has started much earlier than usual, typically before age 40
- If your reproductive organs have been damaged or surgically removed due to disease or other circumstances.
- Diminished ovarian reserve, meaning that the eggs that you have are of low quality; this can often be caused by age, because fertility drops off steeply after 40.
- Genetically transmitted diseases that could be passed on to your child
- A previous history of failure with IVF, especially when your doctor thinks that the quality of your eggs may be the problem